Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A recession from a smokers point of view...

What is a recession? Webster's defines it as " a period of reduced activity". Normally when someone talks of a recession they are talking about the economy.

What I'm talking about is the mental recession we are all facing these days. Talking with my friends all over the world the global economic recession has left us drained.

Think about this: creative professionals are just that: creative. Sometimes ideas just flow out of their heads without thinking much about it. But most of the time ( I am using myself as an example) I need a little separate push for that creative freedom to come out onto the pen, computer, pad, whatever your instrument of choice is). If your area is experiencing a drought like my friend just told me that Austin is going through the last 2 weeks, creative industry suffers in that area. It's more billable hours to the end client for time thumping your pencil on your desk and throwing pushpins into the ceiling because you can't seem to let an idea get in your head. If there was a way that creative professional could smoke a doobie, (or sorry; a dutch) then his creative juices might start flowing again. The wheel would be greased as it were.

Think about that when you are buying your next bag; buy enough to cover those occasional creative recessions.

Stay high my friends,
-the dutchmaster